Search This Blog

Monday, April 18

Fireplace Facelift Repost

Does your fireplace need a Facelift.... Well you're not alone So did mine. I spent about $21 at the Dollar Store to create this look!!
                                                                                    
 Here is a picture of what it looked like before. 
Picture
...And this is the After...
Picture
Materials
Rocks (my math may be a little off but...2 bags of rocks=1 sq ft)
Grout
Spatula
Gloves
1.  Put on gloves and use spatula to Apply grout in sections)
2.  Apply rocks (I started at the bottom of the fireplace and worked my way up)
3.  Repeat steps 1&2
 Once you have finished rocking the fireplace your done
Picture
Steps 1& 2
Almost done have used 10 bags so far.....
Picture
10 Bags!!
If you have a surround you can remove it and spray paint (which is very inexpensive) or to add some dazzle try using a different texture such as glass tile, a different stone, marbles (dollar store find) or mozaic tile.

On my fireplace I used this chocolate mozaic tile that I found at Home Depot.  It cost 4.99 a sheet.  I bought 2 and trimmed the surround.  I also painted the hearth a chocolate with some oops paint (left over from my striped wall in the diningroom) I purchased for $1 at Home depot.  What do you think?
Picture
Tips:
Use thick grout with adhesive.  It took about a day.  This would make a good weekend project.  It is lengthy because you have to apply each rock one by one.  It takes about 24hrs for the grout to harden.

I love the new look!  So whose going to give it a try?
Most of the decorations on the mantel also were purchased at the Dollar Store.  The logs were free and came from my moms backyard..lala

Have you updated any projects lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The way to get good is to get interested. The way to get great is to get downright fascinated and passionate. Imagine being completely intrigued, and so passionate about something that you simply can't get too much of it. When you can do that in some particular field of expertise or endeavor, you can accomplish anything you choose to accomplish in that area." Ralph Marston