Search This Blog

Friday, November 12

West Elm Inspired Headboard for $17!!

Picture


Whoooo--Who!! I am so excited about this blog that I am about to explode.  This headboard that I have built with the help of my lovely hubby is pure awesome.  West Elm actually has this bed retailed at $249.00.  Seeeee....



                      I originally fell in love with the daybed and then the headboard.  Well Ana over at Ana-White.com who is super super awesome.  She gives free furniture plans!!! Can't beat that. 

Well one day I ventured over to her site and she had the plans for it.  Gotta love her.  No down to the nitty gritty... The materials cost me only a whopping $17.00.  West Elm has this headboard in 2 colors black/brown and white.  I choose to paint mine in white.

For detailed illustrations and instructions click here.  http://ana-white.com/2010/10/20-squared2-headboard-queen.html
 
Picture


The  materials needed are:    my price
4 1x2 8ft length                        $1.12
1 2x4 8ft length                       $1.97
4 2x2 8ft length                      $1.37
Mini Kreg Jig and screws                                  
(used to but holes in the wood to connect the wood to each other)

If you don't have a mini Kreg jig they only cost $20 bucks.. or if your pretty good with building you maybe able to connect the joints with something else.


I went to my local Home Depot here in Chattanooga and purchased the wood.  Although, I do have the tools needed to cut them I'm still not quite ready to cut 43 pieces of wood.  Yeah I said...  Justin, Scott and the new guy helped me..  Yeah you guys.... Thanks a million. 

So I followed the plan pretty much to the T...  
1. Cut your wood to specified lengths.
 Cut list:
  • 2 – 2×2 @ 58 3/4″ (Horizontal Frame)
  • 2 – 2×2 @ 52″ (Legs – you can make the legs longer or shorter for the look you are going for)
  • 1 – 2×4 @ 58 3/4″ (Frame Support)
  • 8 – 1×2 @ 12 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)
  • 4 – 1×2 @ 13″ (Overlapping Squares)
  • 2 – 1×2 @ 20 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)
  • 8 – 1×2 @ 6 1/2″ (Overlapping Squares)
  • 12 – 1×2 @ 5 1/2″ (Overlapping Squares)
  • 4 – 1×2 @ 6 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)
2. Drill all pocket holes with the Kreg jig (it's very easy if you do all of the holes first)

 3. Once you have completed step 2 all you have to do its attach each piece of wood.

 (Tip:  it's easy to do but it does takes time.  I recommend that you have an extra pair of hands.)
4.  The final step is to paint it and attach it to the bed.  I had left over white paint!  Whooo-who!!
For detailed illustrations and instructions click here.  http://ana-white.com/2010/10/20-squared2-headboard-queen.html
So what do you think?

  I LOVIE IT !!

 
Pause
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The way to get good is to get interested. The way to get great is to get downright fascinated and passionate. Imagine being completely intrigued, and so passionate about something that you simply can't get too much of it. When you can do that in some particular field of expertise or endeavor, you can accomplish anything you choose to accomplish in that area." Ralph Marston